View our monuments history
Monuments and memorials
The many monuments and memorials are from the eighteenth and nineteenth century .Here they are discussed in terms of family relationships etc., rather than location. On the whole they reflect the prosperity acquired through the rich deposits of coal, iron-stone and clay for brick making.
Ann Rowland (d. 1796), the wife of John Rowland of Plasbennion, built four almshouses at Nant y Gwalia. Their son, Edward Rowland (d.1815), of Gardden Lodge, was a successful iron master and coal owner. His son, Edward Lloyd Rowland (d.1828), was bankrupt in 1823 and his trustees sold the estate to the British Iron Co. Edward Lloyd (d. 1760) of Plas Madoc left to the poor of Ruabon £150 to be distributed in coals and schooling for three boys and two girls. His sister Elizabeth ( d.1758) married Jenkin Lloyd (d. 1760) of Clochfaen, Llangurig. Their daughter Sarah Youde (d.1837), heiress of Plas Madoc and Clochfaen, is remembered by the hatchment (a diamond-shaped frame painted black and enclosing the full armorial bearings of the deceased and it was usually hung outside the
house for the period of mourning). Sarah married, as her second husband, the Reverend Thomas Youde (d.1773). Their grandson, Jacob Youde William Hinde (d.1887), assumed the name of Lloyd and was known as Chevalier Lloyd of Clochfaen. The Chevalier (a dignity conferred by papal decree) paid for the restoration of the Wall Painting and erected, in 1871, a rich inlaid brass and other inlay to the memory of Jenkyn Lloyd of Plas Madoc and Clochfaen and Elizabeth his wife and Sarah Youde. The Chevalier was proud of his descent from Cynwrig ab Rhiwallon (f.l073) who is reputed to have rescued Gruffydd ap Cynan, King of Gwynedd, from imprisonment in Chester.
The Plas Madoc property was mortgaged to George Hammond Whalley ( d.1878). He was member of Parliament for Peterborough and a barrister. His support of the Tichbourne claimant cost him a fortune. He took a great interest in local affairs and was owner and founder of the Cefn and Rhosymedre Water Co. The Lloyds of Penylan have their monuments, that to Ellis Lloyd (d.1712) is possibly the work of Robert Wynne of Ruthin. He was chief inspector of the public revenues in the Duchy of Cornwall, chief notary in the North Wales Court of Sessions and Chancellor to the Bishop of Norwich. Edward Lloyd Kenyon (d.1843) was the last of the line. Other memorials are to clergy of Ruabon, Lewis Jones (d. 1770) and Evan Morgan Roderick (d. 1900). Another to Charlotte Eva wife of Canon E. W. Edward, vicar (1862-1897). Randle Jones (d. 1754) was Recorder of the Lordship of Bromfield and Yale and agent to Sir John Wynn and Sir Watkin Williams Wynn. Randle left fifty pounds for the poor and for the education of two boys.